How many online identities do I need?

Personally I’m reaching the point where I think one may be enough. In the same way that I use Netvibes to pull together all my rss feeds into one place, I’m starting to want a single point of reference for my digital self. It’s difficult to find the time to keep up with my Netvibes and even harder to maintain multiple instances of myself online.

The Internet is like a black hole; it sucks you in. Before you know it an hour has passed, then two or three and the day is gone. I think I want more of a non-digital life. I can’t break completely free because my work revolves around virtual learning and assistive technology and don’t get me wrong – I believe internet literacy is important; it shows you have competence with ICT and that is very much a feature of 21st century life. In terms of employability and communication it’s essential criteria. But there are other things I would rather be doing instead of  being hooked up to my laptop. 

The impetus for this is revisiting the idea of e-portfolios as electronic CVs and liking the thought of having just one digital area to maintain.  Although if I’m going to look for the most appropriate software with which to create my single online identity then I’ll have to stay hooked up for just a little bit longer…

One Reply to “How many online identities do I need?”

1. Recently, I’ve been trying to bring together all my online activity into a single reference point. I opted to do it ‘manually’ rather than use a single piece of software or service to do it, as I wanted to learn about semantic markup for the web and not have a company represent my identity: http://josswinn.org I still use lots of different web services, although some more than others, but if I want to identify myself online, that is the link that represents me.